WORSHIP IN CHURCH: WHY I STRUGGLED


Struggle is the word that first comes to mind when I look back on how I worshipped during church services when I first started going to church.

Just to give a quick backstory: I got saved short of my 18th birthday and was still getting familiar with what “singing your worship and praise” was all about. I’ll admit, for a good while I would just read the lyrics in my head, listening to everyone else sing but wouldn’t participate.

The reason why singing my worship was a struggle? I can’t pinpoint it to an exact reason other than fear. I was scared of how I would sound – as this was all so new to me. I was worried I wouldn’t sing good enough, that I would be noticed and looked at. Writing this out, and writing it where I am now in my life (where I worship throughout the day!) it’s weird looking back and seeing how fear had such a grip on my life in this area.

The enemy would love to take our worship and praise. He would love us to not give God the glory, song and admiration that can be shown through worship. And he can use the tactic of fear to do this.  

When I realised I was struggling with this - I began to pray and talk to God about this area in my life.

I then began to sing and worship out of thankfulness. It’s a long story, and would need a few chapters to explain even, but me and my family have overcame some pretty challenging obstacles in just a few short years. I wouldn’t be where I am right now if it wasn’t for God providing breakthrough after breakthrough.

The more I thought about where I came from, what my family went through to get where we are now; I can’t NOT give God some praise! Acknowledging the agape love, the endless grace and mercy that our God gives us was what ignited me to worship and push past that fear and timidity. I began to search all the worship songs I could find on His goodness and on thankfulness – to the point where I now just sing about how good He is! Safe to say fear does not grip this aspect of my life anymore.

Its funny looking back to seeing where I’m at now! I’ll worship not only during service, but when I wake up, when I’m making some breakfast, on the way to work and back home. On the train, on the beach, in a shop. Hopefully you get the picture!

I’ve never felt more liberated to worship and praise our Creator. If you’re reading this and are currently going through something similar; if fear or worry about what others will think of you hold you back from singing your praise to God I can only speak from the heart when I say kick that fear to the curb!

 

Until the next post,

 

Chloe @ She Reformed

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Girls - A letter from Steven Mcleish

LEARNING FROM SEASONS: MALACHI 3:6

KNOWING HIM: DELIVERER