HOW GIVING HAS BLESSED MY LIFE


As we are on the subject of gifts and giving, we are approaching that time of the year where people scurry about the shops thinking of Christmas presents. However, my inspiration for this post is from what I experienced on route to work one morning. It was a Friday morning I was in the queue at Starbucks and in the process of ordering my chai latte when the barista informed me that my drink was already paid for by the person in front of me. She also said that I had change left over from that person for a sweet treat! I was pretty shocked and remember saying “really? You sure?” I had a look around but by the time I figured out who it was that provided the treat they were already leaving the shop with their order.

I thought of that random act of kindness for the rest of the day; maybe because it caught me off guard? Maybe because I thought “why me”? Or maybe I was taken aback by the fact that for a moment, that person thought of some stranger and considered what a surprise it would be.

This stranger bought my drink with no expectation of having theirs bought. They didn’t even wait for a thank you. They simply had the heart to give that day. That day got me thinking: what can I do/give that can bring someone else a surprise burst of joy throughout the day?

Society has an interesting perception of giving. With the way of society, people will give but only if they receive something in return. I can remember a family member giving a gift to someone and they were so angry when they “only got a thank you card in return!”.  The classic “what’s in it for me” mind set.

The word teaches that we should do unto others what we would like to be done for us and something I have been learning recently is that it is just as much of a blessing to give than to receive.

The truth is when I give I do receive but not in the way society thinks I should. For example I get happy seeing the look on people’s faces when they don’t expect it! or seeing someone smile bring me joy knowing that even for a moment out of the day, I brought some happiness. I am blessed to be a blessing and when we realize that then we will realize the joy that it brings.

The beauty of giving for me is that there are so many ways we can bless someone. Give a compliment, pray for them, give them a book that you have finished reading that they might enjoy. Why not invite them over for some tea?

What could you do today that could be considered a random act of kindness? See what giving can do in your life!
 
Chloe @ She Reformed
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Girls - A letter from Steven Mcleish

LEARNING FROM SEASONS: MALACHI 3:6

KNOWING HIM: DELIVERER